Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ashford v Loxwood Preview

lazarus

As the main website is still out of action, I am posting here the preview for tomorrow's match, as I have so far been found wanting in trying to get onto the alternative Pitchero web site.

Ashford will be playing in their first FA Vase match since the 2001-2002 season and having been favoured with a home draw, will welcome Sussex County League side Loxwood FC to Short Lane on Saturday, kick-off 3.00 p.m.

Ashford have never met Loxwood before but all clubs want to progress in this great competition and a quick look at Loxwood’s record this season shows that they have lost just two league matches.  They have though drawn no less than seven of their games and will arrive in 10th place in their league having come up quickly through the various Sussex leagues to reach the Premier Division, or Division One as it is known in Sussex.  As far as can be seen this is their first ever season in the FA Vase and they won through to the 1st Round Proper with a decisive 5-2 victory at home to Steyning Town in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

There will be extra time today if necessary but if the scores are still level after that, the replay, rather unusually, will be on Thursday evening.

In case we are still interested, the draw for the 2nd Round will be made on Monday.

Alan.

If you ever get the chance when heading South towards the coast and you have time, you must visit Loxwood.

It still has the rustic charm of village life decades ago.

I have many happy memories of watching cricket on the green as a young teenager.

I drive through Loxwood to get to my parents' place on the coast. The very friendly Loxwood folk were impressed yesterday when I explained to the Ashford contingent that you turn right just before the second village pond to get to the mini-forest where the ground is. "The Onslow Arms" in the village is a fine pub, with the added summer attraction of short barge trips up and down the adjacent Wey & Arun Canal.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought Ashford supporters might like to see this quote from the Loxwood Manager, from the Sussex County Times

The performance, was incredible. The level we played at was beyond my wildest dreams. The day was made better by the fact Ashford were the most gracious and hospitable side I have ever come across in football. The people watching the game said it was the best game they had seen at that level and I am very proud to have been part of it.

“It was just amazing and I think it’s testament that their manager said, that they can go out knowing they played well and lost to a team that deserved to win. Both teams were applauded off by everyone to a standing ovation.”

Archived