Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Revolving door

Barry Proudfoot

• 4 weeks later...

You have hit the nail on the head there Jim but it's the same frustrations for the regular supporters when half the starting line up has changed in last two weeks. When we won the league we had a team of regulars. The number of supporters at away matches is now at an all time low.

Do you just make things up to prove a point? I'm afraid you are wrong again. I've found a programme from the league winning season and from the same period of time (two weeks up till Oct 18th) SEVEN changes to the side.

Away support at Tonbridge and Harlow was excellent so again WRONG

Do you just make things up to prove a point? I'm afraid you are wrong again. I've found a programme from the league winning season and from the same period of time (two weeks up till Oct 18th) SEVEN changes to the side.

Away support at Tonbridge and Harlow was excellent so again WRONG

I am not making anything up.  I will provide the facts and let people make their own mind up.

This season it was a comparison between the two league games against Met Police and Kingstonian, there were six changes to the starting line-up. 

In the league winning season, there were two league games in the same period where there were no changes to the starting eleven. Between the league match and the game with Grays in the Mickey Mouse Cup, yes there were seven changes, in a week when we had a FA Cup match with Leatherhead on the Saturday in a period where nobody bothered about the league cup. For the FA Cup match Craig said “I am hoping to name the same 16 players in the squad to play Leatherhead”.  So a pretty stable line up to me.

During that season we used 39 players for all league games (official Ryman figures) and 14 of those players appeared in less than 10 games.  So we had a core squad of 26 players.

As far as away support is concerned I can’t be wrong about the Tonbridge and Harlow games as I posted that comment on October 19  and these games were played in November.  I was referring to games at Bury, Met Police, Leatherhead and Kingstonian where there were not many supporters there.  We used to have at least 50 people at away matches and a lot more if there was a coach.  Now there is mainly the faithfull few (my opinion) which includes the fans who do not attend the home matches.

Just make your own mind up based on the data.

Sorry to butt in on this argument, but here is my take on the subject :

1) Everybody knows that  fielding your best eleven on a regular basis is the way forward for success.

2) Those long in the tooth will remember the stable teams that brought success to the club.

3) Times have changed, non league crowds have fallen and finances are tighter.

4) With a few exceptions Player loyalty has all but disappeared.

5) The seven day approach rule makes club " hopping" easy at this level.

6) Check out the weekly transfer page on the Ryman League  site.

7) For this season and the last two, New Lodge has not been a fortress by any imagination, so in addition to the "day out" enjoyment, our travelling contingent, no matter how small, have generally fared better from our performances and are probably more understanding of poor results away from home

COYB

Archived