Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

£8 for an adult to watch CCL Premier Division football?

Lazy Sod

Last season I saw CB Hounslow United FC play a home game and it was free to get in and the programme was free a great gesture by the club I did give the guy with the programes a £1 but he gave it back to me it wasn't the best programme in the world but it was free so you cant complain.

If Ashford Town FC went down I wonder if they would still keep the entrance price and programme price the same ? but im sure they wont go down as they seem to be doing very well at the moment. I hope Ashford Town FC go up to be honest. 

Should teams increase the entry price for their FA Cups this weekend? As a normal supporter would you be annoyed if the fee is upped from say, £6 to £10?

Yes.

The trouble with raising the prices for games with a higher profile is  the ones who get grumpy are the ones who probably turn up for the bog standard games, not just bigger ones.

Alienating your regular or semi- regular support to make a quick buck could backfire on clubs....even if, I personally, would have no problem going to a ground and being asked to pay around a tenner. The point is that it isn't the likes of me clubs should be thinking about, it is the regular support they have and thinking creatively in trying to entice the next generation into coming to watch regularly.

As someone who is more of a groundhopper these days, I do think £8 is too much at Step 4. I'm used to paying £6 at that level and I watch games all round the country now. When I'm at Step 4 I'd expect to pay £8 and so on. If I went to Ashford (and I do plan to soon) I won't balk at paying £8 but I might just spend less inside the ground - I tend to buy prog, food and drink usually.

When clubs go up a level they up their prices so when they get relegated, why not charge less? They will often have lower travel expenses, lower player expenses, lower official expenses.

The original post mentioned park football as if that is a million miles away from this level of football. On some days, at some grounds, it isn't!

And that is probably the approach that I might consider. But I dont think I mentioned park football in the OP.

FA Cup this weekend so we can all play Spot The Fiddle where clubs communicate lower than actual attendances but that is another matter.

Aren't FA Cup prices determined by the FA? Seem to recall that say a Step 6 club hosting a Step 4 has to charge the higher rate or am I imagining that?

It is down to the clubs to agree the price.  When the home club confirms the match they state what they are going to charge.  Should the away team object to this then discussions can be had.

Basically, if you are fortunate to make it into the later qualifying / proper rounds then I do not see why you can't up your prices.

Quite. I can't see any club in the CCL charging £6 if they get a big club in the Cup and I am not necessarily talking about a Football League club either. Would the likes of Cove or Farnham Town charge the normal admission if they were drawn at home to Aldershot?

If you've won through two or three rounds, you've probably earned the right to make some extra potentially at the gate and in the bar in my book. ( Although putting it up too much could backfire, as previously mentioned.)

A bigger game is potentially a better product, which you'd expect to pay more for if you were in the real world outside of football.

I think it is important to remember that the figures people are quoting and suggesting are out of order may not be really. Hobbies cost money, the price of most things are rising and ultimately, we can all decide if what we want ( rather than need) is worth what is being charged,

Many people who have a hobby would expect to spend at least what watching a game at this level costs to enjoy it,,, maybe we don't know how lucky we are?

I guess that home fans will pay whatever, but casuals will be more choosy. Probably won't make much difference to the club I appreciate. Anyone know if Chertsey are still charging £8? Another problem if 2 or 3 clubs are charging £8 you can bet that next season one or two more will do it and before you know it £8 is the standard entry. And yes I know it's only £2.

Yes

Windsor do tend to have one game a season where admission is free and this is usually balanced by an increase in takings at the food hut and bar.

At the end of the day, if you turn up at a ground to watch a game, it is more likely than not that the admission will be paid. The important thing is to research beforehand on the admission costs and then make a decision before setting off.

Just a quick observation from someone who has been involved at club, ground and bar level until this season. (Hopefully to return next season.)

(1)  Groundhoppers.  As far as groundhoppers are concerned, generally I have found them nice people.  There are the few that are the 'train-spotters' that only want the programme, SO... DON'T sell programmes at the gate.  As previously stated, somewhere inside the ground makes sense, probably the bar, giving the temptation for them to spend more money.

(2)  Entry fee.  In this day and age, it matters not if it's £5, £6, £7 or £8.  The income in most League games just about covers the officials fees. if you're lucky !

(3)  General Moaners.  Every club will get them and to be honest, you just have to put up with them.  The best one I had was at Meadowbank a few seasons ago, when I was approached by an elderley gentleman, berating me as Safety Officer because he and his wife were being 'worried' by a wasp in the grand-stand.  On his third visit to me, moaning even loader, I happily told him I would accompany him back to the grand-stand, and if he identified the specific guilty wasp that was bothering his family, I would happily do my very best to eject it from the ground !

If nothing else, you can generally gain a quiet giggle from these moaners.

Edited by Big J R

That all seems fair and reasonable to me. Personally, I can take or leave a programme, although not getting one because some spotter with little interest in the game itself does can be tiresome. Sold inside- problem solved.

Entry fees? Probably said my piece on that already, I'm happy to pay eight quid, others maybe less so. Agreeing to differ seems sensible.

Moaners? Some people will always find something to grumble about...although I maintain it is a hobby and if you aren't enjoying your past time, you should probably find a different one.

Reading about the wasp incident certainly raised a smile here...I think many have encountered these types of people in life...if I was ever in danger of becoming like that. trust me, I'd want someone to tell me long before it was too late! 

• 2 weeks later...

Used to drive me mad when I did the gate at E&E at Merland Rise the people waiting in the car park for half time so they could duck paying the admission fee. Drove me even madder when I saw them buying beer in the bar going into BAFC's owners pockets.

I promote gigs now and again , never more than £5 admission, and the same principal applies.

Then the self same people moan when local football clubs struggle/ there are no bands playing in their town.

Rant over.

Used to drive me mad when I did the gate at E&E at Merland Rise the people waiting in the car park for half time so they could duck paying the admission fee. Drove me even madder when I saw them buying beer in the bar going into BAFC's owners pockets.

I promote gigs now and again , never more than £5 admission, and the same principal applies.

Then the self same people moan when local football clubs struggle/ there are no bands playing in their town.

Rant over.

I know most club gate staff etc like to cash-up at half-time, but the idea of allowing free entry for the second half has always amazed me.

Put someone else on the gate and charge half-price must surely be the answer !!