Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

FA Cup

Saturday 16th August
                F.A. Cup - Extra Preliminary Round
                Ardley United           5-1     Ash United
                Ashford Town (Middx)    3-1     Berkhamstead
                Badshot Lea             3-0     Binfield
                Brimscombe & Thrupp     1-2     Windsor
                Cheltenham Saracens     1-0     Camberley Town
                Chertsey Town           1-1     Milton United
                Chessington & Hook Utd  1-0     Worthing United
                Chichester City         2-3     Mole Valley SCR
                Colliers Wood United    0-1     Lordswood
                Cove                    0-1     Thame United
                Erith & Belvedere       2-0     AFC Croydon Athletic
                Fairford Town           1-3     Knaphill
                Farnham Town            1-4     Highmoor Ibis
                Guildford City          0-2     Ashford United
                Hartley Wintney         A-A     Frimley Green
                Hassocks                1-3     Epsom & Ewell
                Horsham YMCA            3-2     Alton Town
                Long Buckby             1-1     Hanworth Villa
                Molesey                11-0     Haywards Heath
                Wellingborough Town     2-4     Bedfont & Feltham
                Westfield               3-2     Horley Town
                Division 1
                CB Hounslow Utd         0-0     Banstead Athletic
                Cobham                  1-2     Dorking
                Farleigh Rovers         4-1     Sandhurst Town
                Sheerwater              1-2     Worcester Park

Hartley Wintney v Frimley Green (1st half anyway!)

Unfortunately I didn't get the complete story of the captains clashing, as i'd paused momentarily because the ball was dead. 

Some interesting footage, Trevor.

I suppose we ought to wait for any result of any enquiry which will all hinge on the referee's repoprt to the F.A. before commenting too much.

The referee must have had good reason to call the game of at that stage, probably believing the second half would become more explosive than the first.

Hartley Wintney v Frimley Green (1st half anyway!)

Unfortunately I didn't get the complete story of the captains clashing, as i'd paused momentarily because the ball was dead. 

In my opinion, from looking at TRS footage,@ 4.50 the Frimley No. 2 mugged himself off, why on earth did he have to go between the Hartley 5 and his keeper ?  Lack of discipline could have cost his team.  What could the Hartley 5 do to stop the keeper.who are protected to the hilt as it is ! 

Alternative : If the Frimley No. 2 had run wide the keeper would be in the position to throw the ball to him if he chose to, but instead he wanted to get involved with the subsequent outcome ! 

Stupidity I'm afraid cost him a red, conceding a penalty and possible elimination from the FA Cup.

Think when he looks at the footbage he'll regret his actions.

The game will obviuosly be replayed unless the FA see something in the referee's report to throw one of the teams out of the competition....be interesting to see the outcome.

I think you are being harsh there BG.

Seems to me like a natural reaction to "protect" his keeper. Unnecessary yes, but natural nonetheless.

I take it the Hartley No 5 could not continue after the resumption in play because he had clearly been knocked unconscious.

He wasn't unconscious? Then presumably he had blood pouring from a broken nose?

No? Well why didn't he get up more quickly then?

Seems very odd.

Obviously I wasn't there and the video didn't quite get the moment of contact (if there was any) but in my experience there is very little that pisses off players more than an opponent feigning injury and "winning" a red card...

If FG believed that is what happened here might that have been the cause of the fracas at HT?

Mind you, the other FG players didn't really seem to protest that much so maybe it was indeed a blatant elbow in the kisser.

Oh well, I'm just posting waffle now so I'll shut up.

Edited by Rother

In my opinion, from looking at TRS footage,@ 4.50 the Frimley No. 2 mugged himself off, why on earth did he have to go between the Hartley 5 and his keeper ?  Lack of discipline could have cost his team.  What could the Hartley 5 do to stop the keeper.who are protected to the hilt as it is ! 

Alternative : If the Frimley No. 2 had run wide the keeper would be in the position to throw the ball to him if he chose to, but instead he wanted to get involved with the subsequent outcome ! 

Stupidity I'm afraid cost him a red, conceding a penalty and possible elimination from the FA Cup.

Think when he looks at the footbage he'll regret his actions.

The game will obviuosly be replayed unless the FA see something in the referee's report to throw one of the teams out of the competition....be interesting to see the outcome.

Look again. 4.49 Hartley captain (5) pinches the arm of the FG 2 on the inside of the arm where the tissue is soft. And trust me if you've had that done to you it's painful. So that is why the FG 2 swung his arm back, 5.26 FG 2 shows his bench his arm and explains what happened.

I am told the Hartley captain (5) then threatened the linesman in the corridor to the changing rooms at half time when he was being told to get in his changing room by the linesman. The referee then told both club officials that as a result of this he was concerned about his safety and his linesman and therefore called the game off.

Not sure what the debate is here. Frimley's threw his arm back at an opponent, therefore the ref has no choice - he has to go.

The first incident usually gets missed and the retribution ends up being spotted and punished - always will I guess as there are only three pairs of eyes officiating in one game and they can't see everything that goes on.

It's all just a bit daft and I'm not sure anybody should be coming on here and defending any of the participants. Whatever happened it must be serious enough for the ref to call it off. I'm sure both sides are embarrassed by it all.

Not sure what the debate is here. Frimley's threw his arm back at an opponent, therefore the ref has no choice - he has to go.

The first incident usually gets missed and the retribution ends up being spotted and punished - always will I guess as there are only three pairs of eyes officiating in one game and they can't see everything that goes on.

It's all just a bit daft and I'm not sure anybody should be coming on here and defending any of the participants. Whatever happened it must be serious enough for the ref to call it off. I'm sure both sides are embarrassed by it all.

Your right mate the Hartley player at half time threatened to"Do" the linesman. Theres no place in football for that behaviour. It's a bad day for both clubs really. I have a lot of respect for Luke and the committee at Hartley. The tie should of been a good local derby and I'm very sad that it ended this way. Neither club should get involved in such rubbish

I think you are being harsh there BG.

Seems to me like a natural reaction to "protect" his keeper. Unnecessary yes, but natural nonetheless.

I take it the Hartley No 5 could not continue after the resumption in play because he had clearly been knocked unconscious.

He wasn't unconscious? Then presumably he had blood pouring from a broken nose?

No? Well why didn't he get up more quickly then?

Seems very odd.

Obviously I wasn't there and the video didn't quite get the moment of contact (if there was any) but in my experience there is very little that pisses off players more than an opponent feigning injury and "winning" a red card...

If FG believed that is what happened here might that have been the cause of the fracas at HT?

Mind you, the other FG players didn't really seem to protest that much so maybe it was indeed a blatant elbow in the kisser.

Oh well, I'm just posting waffle now so I'll shut up.

Rother, I am sorry but you appear to be missing the point.

Why has the FG No, 2 got involved getting in between the Hartley 5 and his keeper in the first place when there was no need to ?

As stated already, if the FG No, 2 goes wide the keeper can throw the ball to him and start an attack whilst taking advantage of the Hartley 5 (I presume their centre back)  still in FG penalty box and not back defending, then none of what happened would happen. 

Its discipline Rother, what was the Hartley No, 5 going to do to the FG keeper ?  Why would he need protection ?  Because of FG2 needless action he could have cost his team the game !

The FG2 wouldn't have pinches/scratches on his arm if he hadn't got in between the two of them and certainly wouldn't have got sent off and wouldn't have given away a penalty.

Instead of getting involved, quick thinking by FG2 by going out wide to receive the ball from his keeper with Hartley 5 in penalty box, would have been more advantageous for his team than giving away a penalty don't you think ?

In my eyes he was stupid, and altho' the game was banned, I still think his red card goes thru' so he will miss 1-2 games !   So its FG2 loss in every aspect because of his actions,..

Hopefully he will learn from this incident, to think quicker and be more smart.

I am not being disrespectful to the FG2 just hoping he will understand my point of view..

Rother, I am sorry but you appear to be missing the point.

Why has the FG No, 2 got involved getting in between the Hartley 5 and his keeper in the first place when there was no need to ?

As stated already, if the FG No, 2 goes wide the keeper can throw the ball to him and start an attack whilst taking advantage of the Hartley 5 (I presume their centre back)  still in FG penalty box and not back defending, then none of what happened would happen. 

Its discipline Rother, what was the Hartley No, 5 going to do to the FG keeper ?  Why would he need protection ?  Because of FG2 needless action he could have cost his team the game !

The FG2 wouldn't have pinches/scratches on his arm if he hadn't got in between the two of them and certainly wouldn't have got sent off and wouldn't have given away a penalty.

Instead of getting involved, quick thinking by FG2 by going out wide to receive the ball from his keeper with Hartley 5 in penalty box, would have been more advantageous for his team than giving away a penalty don't you think ?

In my eyes he was stupid, and altho' the game was banned, I still think his red card goes thru' so he will miss 1-2 games !   So its FG2 loss in every aspect because of his actions,..

Hopefully he will learn from this incident, to think quicker and be more smart.

I am not being disrespectful to the FG2 just hoping he will understand my point of view..

No, I didn't miss the point and basically agree pretty much with everything you say, I merely explained why I thought he did get involved. A split second reaction to the movement of the No 5 towards his goalkeeper, which was also unnecessary and mildly inflammatory in the circumstances.

The rest was me just playing Devil's Advocate really. Something caused the massive reaction at HT and I was musing on what it might have been.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the match is to be replayed, the officials that are appointed will be of  'The Highest Calibre' !!

Read into that, what you will.