Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Eversley planning consent

Been reading comments throughout the break & keeping quiet especially as been busy pretending to know what I doing but hearing the news on my last day on holiday I just had to say something.

I thought myself it was just work that moved the goalposts but now I hear it's also ccl who I've supported for yrs which now has now made me rethink my hobby, that I've done for unknown seasons now, but the way I feel now it will just be a job from this season (which I might not have if people don't like my efforts). Its a shame but can't change the way I feel

However want to wish every club & person involved with the forthcoming season all the very best & good luck, maybe I might see some people around if your unlucky to bump into me

Very GRUMPY

Edited by aupostie

Yes very poor from the CCL,if they had known about Eversleys restictions  on their lights before the AGM,which in my opinion they should of been,they would not of been promoted.Maybe someone could call for an E.G.M.to rectify their error.Was interested to learn that the full monty of CCL Committee,attended the Mole Valley v Horley game end of last season,I WONDER WHY,but it did make me chuckle.

Edited by Smudge

Been reading comments throughout the break & keeping quiet especially as been busy pretending to know what I doing but hearing the news on my last day on holiday I just had to say something.

I thought myself it was just work that moved the goalposts but now I hear it's also ccl who I've supported for yrs which now has now made me rethink my hobby, that I've done for unknown seasons now, but the way I feel now it will just be a job from this season (which I might not have if people don't like my efforts). Its a shame but can't change the way I feel

However want to wish every club & person involved with the forthcoming season all the very best & good luck, maybe I might see some people around if your unlucky to bump into me

Very GRUMPY

Back to reality today & my quote maybe right as I've just been told my efforts are not upto standard.... So I maybe just here & there

Back to reality today & my quote maybe right as I've just been told my efforts are not upto standard.... So I maybe just here & there

Whats going on down there Gaz,some guy is having a right go on facebook,you know damn well that they will be up the swanny with out your services don't let them get to you mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes very poor from the CCL,if they had known about Eversleys restictions  on their lights before the AGM,which in my opinion they should of been,they would not of been promoted.Maybe someone could call for an E.G.M.to rectify their error.Was interested to learn that the full monty of CCL Committee,attended the Mole Valley v Horley game end of last season,I WONDER WHY,but it did make me chuckle.

Lazurus,maybe you should of taken my advice 12 days ago.

But surely, if an EGM had been called, then we wouldn't be starting the season until September. An EGM requires 21 days notice, then, after the subsequent meeting had made a decision one way or another, the fixtures would need to be prepared accordingly, which takes time. Then, once that's been done, match officials need to be appointed and so on.

This was pretty much a unique situation. The League handled it as best they could and in accordance with the national ground grading and the rules of the National League System. Both the CCL and The FA will learn from this and this kind of issue will almost certainly never arise again because things like planning restrictions will be checked from now on.

Is it the League or The FA's job to remind every club when they have a player suspended? No. Clubs are expected to know these things and good Secretaries always do. Many check with their County FA when signing a player that the player has no outstanding disciplinary issues. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence, 

The same principle applies here. It is the responsibility of each club to ensure they have the correct grading. Here's how The FA ground grading document begins the rules on floodlights:

"Floodlights must be provided to an average lux reading of 120. No single reading can be less than one quarter of the highest reading so as to ensure an even spread of light. NB When installing a new system, clubs are advised to check any planning restrictions for its use.

The FA put the emphasis on that bit in bold.

Therefore, if Eversley & California (and/or their representatives) had been properly aware of The FA's instructions, they would have known about their council's desire to restrict the use of the lights and should have discussed the matter with the League either before planning permission was granted with the restriction in place, or as soon as it was granted so they were aware, in advance of winning promotion, of what ramifications the restrictions would have on them.

The CCL is run by volunteers. These people can't be expected to be experts in planning law, or know which councils won't allow 7.45pm kick-offs because the neighbours complain. If clubs have restrictions on the use of their lights, they have to tell the League. That is how it has worked since time immemorial and, while I do feel for Eversley & California, I really don't think this situation is entirely the League's fault.

Is it the League or The FA's job to remind every club when they have a player suspended? No. Clubs are expected to know these things and good Secretaries always do. Many check with their County FA when signing a player that the player has no outstanding disciplinary issues. Ignorance of the rules is not a defence,

The same principle applies here. It is the responsibility of each club to ensure they have the correct grading. Here's how The FA ground grading document begins the rules on floodlights:

"Floodlights must be provided to an average lux reading of 120. No single reading can be less than one quarter of the highest reading so as to ensure an even spread of light. NB When installing a new system, clubs are advised to check any planning restrictions for its use."

Therefore, if Eversley & California (and/or their representatives) had been properly aware of The FA's instructions, they would have known about their council's desire to restrict the use of the lights and should have discussed the matter with the League either before planning permission was granted with the restriction in place, or as soon as it was granted so they were aware, in advance of winning promotion, of what ramifications the restrictions would have on them.

The CCL is run by volunteers. These people can't be expected to be experts in planning law, or know which councils won't allow 7.45pm kick-offs because the neighbours complain. If clubs have restrictions on the use of their lights, they have to tell the League. That is how it has worked since time immemorial and, while I do feel for Eversley & California, I really don't think this situation is entirely the League's fault.

Volunteers? I think not! Paid people!

"Floodlights must be provided to an average lux reading of 120. No single reading can be less than one quarter of the highest reading so as to ensure an even spread of light. NB When installing a new system, clubs are advised to check any planning restrictions for its use."

The CCL is run by volunteers. These people can't be expected to be experts in planning law, or know which councils won't allow 7.45pm kick-offs because the neighbours complain. If clubs have restrictions on the use of their lights, they have to tell the League. That is how it has worked since time immemorial and, while I do feel for Eversley & California, I really don't think this situation is entirely the League's fault.

Bigboy they are Volunteers, bar one who travels miles to report on games,where expenses are paid.

Beano,partly the Leagues fault then?

Eversley's fault also agreed.

Can I ask then what communication between Clubs and Leagues happens,is it just e-mails?

Clubs I presume,have to check with the Referees Secretary, Officials,Registration Secretary,phone in results to League and F.A. If they do not they are fined I presume.

How many CCL Officers are full-time employees of the League, then?

I think you might find the answer looks a lot like a polo mint. There's no rule that says a volunteer can't be remunerated for their efforts, particularly if they incur expenses in the course of their work, but every member of the CCL Board does it for the good of the game. Not for cash. 

Bigboy they are Volunteers, bar one who travels miles to report on games,where expenses are paid.

Beano,partly the Leagues fault then?

Eversley's fault also agreed.

Can I ask then what communication between Clubs and Leagues happens,is it just e-mails?

Clubs I presume,have to check with the Referees Secretary, Officials,Registration Secretary,phone in results to League and F.A. If they do not they are fined I presume.

No, I don't think this is the League's fault, although I think that, in hindsight, everyone would be able to pick out a couple of things that might have been done differently. For instance, if the League had asked for/been provided a copy of the planning consent, this might have been avoided,

In this day and age, a lot of the communication between clubs and leagues (and, indeed, County FAs) is by email and phone. The CCL produces an excellent weekly bulletin which includes fixture changes, handbook amendments and match official appointments, so clubs have all the information they need when planning their games. The home club confirms arrangements with the opponents and match officials well in advance - failure to do so can incur fines.

Yes, results need to be phoned in to the League after all matches and fines are issued if they're not. If playing in an outside competition, like The FA Cup, clubs also have to report the result in the manner prescribed by the organisers. For example, Middlesex Senior Cup results can be sent in by phone call or SMS, FA Cup results have be phoned in to The FA and the Press Association.

Most Leagues will also have one or two meeting with clubs per season, but the content of these varies depending on what is required at the time. 

That makes the assumption that the "designated person" has both the time and the expertise to advise a club on an issue that might not be football-related at all. No football league should be setting themselves up as experts on licencing laws, or planning permission, or things like that.

There is other support available for clubs - most, if not all County FAs have a Development Manager who can advise clubs on things like facility funding - the Middlesex FA's Development Manager helped me to put together two applications to Sport England and one to McDonald's which, between them, got Ashford Town (Middlesex) £70,000 in facility improvements.

The League Officers (and most County FA staff, come to that) are approachable and helpful. Surely, if a club needs advice, they can call the relevant person and ask for it?   Every club has different needs and challenges; the League can't keep on top of all of them.

In a nutshell, the League's job is to provide the framework under which the member clubs compete, i.e., the League and its associated cups. Within that, they:

• Identify and organise the member clubs, collate relevant information about them and publish it in order to facilitate matches
  • Prepare and publish the fixture list, including re-arranging matches as required
  • Ensure all players participating in the League are eligible to do so, by running a registration process and sharing information with the clubs and County FAs to ensure that players don't play while suspended, etc
  • Appoint match officials to these fixtures
  • Appoint Referee Assessors as appropriate
  • Collate the results of the matches and other information, including marks for match officials, hospitality, sportsmanship, etc
  • Gather information from clubs and other sources that may be of use to the membership
  • Publish as much of the accumulated information as is practical and desirable to do so, via the Bulletin and other publications
  • Adjudicate in the event of breaches of rules, protocol or in certain disputes between clubs.

And that's just an overview...