Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

This Forum

BlueGate Alan

As we now have our Facebook Group and the forum on our new website I have decided, especially as this is hardly used now, to ask Admin to close this down at end of the season.

I'm not a huge lover of forums (as I'm sure Rob knows only too well :) ) but if we have one I'd much rather it be unattached from the official website .. I'd prefer fact be separate from opinion (as someone said elsewhere).

I'm assuming Margate are using the in-built forum that is part of their new Pitchero website.  If that's so, then a couple of things worth noting ..
 - forum access can be set such that anyone can read/post (I've simplified that) or you need to register with the club to be able to read/post (can't remember what level of access you need).
 - any forum interactions/posts are automatically displayed on your homepage unless you configure your site to show just one of the sections (news, forum, videos, photos etc) on the site.  If you want to see news and videos for instance then you'll also have to see all forum posts too.

If you look at Romford's site you'll see what I mean .. their forum is a closed shop (you can see the headline items but can't view the threads).  I just don't see the point in this at all.  Also, their homepage is awash with pointless forum posts which makes their site look awful and very bloggy.

Some clubs e.g. Cray make the forum public which is much better.  They have their site configured just to show "Club News" which suppresses the forum posts on the home page but unfortunately this also suppresses match reports, videos, selections, photos etc etc.  If you want to see everything (selecting All) then all the forum posts headline their site.

Hence, I chose not to use the Pitchero forum for AFCH.

This is a great shame as Rob has said we will lose a lot of friends, as I for one never go on club official websites.

Best regards and good luck .........

Dibs

Not good news. I will always support margate but unfortunately it is a very "clicky" club. Certain people wont accept any criticism of the club and the"pack mentality" is very evident. I think that the fears expressed on this thread are very valid. A "closed shop" forum within the clubs website will just stifle discussion and negate the very point of having a forum in the first place.

I have now had several requests to keep the forum open, so I can guarantee that this will happen as per those requests..

Margate fans may continue to use this forum, as well as their official forum if they wish.

I know many good people at Margate and having owned property in the county, they will remain a favourite club of mine.

Obviously if the current moderators, do not feel that they can continue to moderate this forum, please could they let me know. Otherwise I will be looking for alternative moderators.

As the person who is the Admin on the Margate Football Club facebook page I welcome you all to look at the debates and discussions that take place on it. It is an open forum for everbody to look at but unfortunatley you can only comment if you are a member.

When I opened it I decided to restrict membership to MFC fans only and I have not since changed my mind. The members of it are critical of MFC and all forms of debate are encouraged as long.

This fb group will always be independent of MFC management BUT if they do decide to apply to become members they will be allowed.

On a personal note I will continue to post on other clubs forums and dig out the likes of EU, BB and Gazza with pleasure.

Well this has certainly provoked a reaction albeit mainly from our friends at Hornchurch.

As I said because we now have both our Facebook page where, as Jim says, some heated discussions take place and our "Official" forum I had noticed this was hardly used and felt it unfair to Ian W (Admin) to waste valuable space.

However it seems that several people have asked Ian to keep it open (hope they use it then) so I am more than happy to remain the moderator on here.

Just out of interest our new forum is open to anybody from other clubs Ryan has told me and for Andy's benefit our forum posts do not show on the news page.

Not good news. I will always support margate but unfortunately it is a very "clicky" club. Certain people wont accept any criticism of the club and the"pack mentality" is very evident. I think that the fears expressed on this thread are very valid. A "closed shop" forum within the clubs website will just stifle discussion and negate the very point of having a forum in the first place.

Derek?

.... and for Andy's benefit our forum posts do not show on the news page.

If I came across as meddling then I apologise .. I'm just imparting info that I learned when setting up the AFC Hornchurch site a year or so ago.

Re your point, the reason the forum posts don't appear on your home page is that your site is configured to only show "Club News".  You'll also notice that your Match Reports (U21s v Ramsgate) and Videos (vs Bognor + Terry Brown reaction) don't show on the home page either (by default).

To see your Match Reports + Videos you need to click "ALL" under Recent Activity.  This will then show everything which unfortunately includes the Forum posts.

Personally I'd be sad to see this forum go as I've used it for so long and had some great discussions and banter. However, things evolve and interactions are easier via the Facebook page and I guess as a result many people have stopped posting here. The Pitchero MFC site has now been configured to not show the forum discussions on there as they were swamping more important items. This has the disadvantage that photos and videos are not displayed on the front page so you need to look for them or access them from a link elsewhere.

It's nice to be able to interact with fans from other clubs on here sometimes and I cannot recall seeing any really foul language whereas FB lends itself to some pretty foul stuff on occasion that I personally don't want to see but it is dependent on the admin deleting it. Am happy to see the forum continuing

I am not in favour of 'official' forums, as they are, by definition, moderated by the the very people you might want to criticise. When I say moderated I mean censored. I will use it if this one is allowed to die, but would prefer not to.

Looking at the Facebook page, it seems to be one man and his ego (unless there's a different one I haven't seen), so not interested in that.

This forum has been perfect for quite a few years, and I would vote to keep it as the most used forum. Just a personal opinion.

I am not in favour of 'official' forums, as they are, by definition, moderated by the the very people you might want to criticise. When I say moderated I mean censored. I will use it if this one is allowed to die, but would prefer not to.

Looking at the Facebook page, it seems to be one man and his ego (unless there's a different one I haven't seen), so not interested in that.

This forum has been perfect for quite a few years, and I would vote to keep it as the most used forum. Just a personal opinion.

One man and his ego, i like that programme, them sheepdogs are dam clever

Archived