Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Attracting more people to away travel

I've started writing down some ideas that I've thought of, which might attract more people to support the Urchins on our away days starting from next season.

If at all possible, I would like to eventually bring this up with the Supporters Association / the club.

I know there are people that prefer to get the train or drive, and I have no problems with that.

But on our away days its always the same 15 odd people that get the coach. Some of the attendances on away days have been, if I'm to be honest, a little on the poor side and I really want to bump this up, hopefully through coach travel.

I want to know ideas from people that may attract you to take the coach instead of drive or get the train. 

Or even get people that have not been on away days before travelling away to see the Urchins.

I know the money situation can be tight for some people and I will take this very much into consideration as it has affected me this season as I've not been to some away games that I may have wanted to get to.

Here are my ideas, please feel free to comment and share your own ideas. All welcome!

• Keeping costs down (having to take in consideration distance and petrol mileage, etc with Milestone)
  • Under 5's travel for free
  • A Youth price (not adult or child fee)
  • Travelling One way price (example: return only)
  • Price for the unemployed (id would be required)
  • Family discount (2 adults + 2 kids / 2 adults + 1 child.....etc)
  • Student fee (may come with youth or separate, id required)

I could halve the cost of my away games by boycotting the bar.

But I can't see myself doing that, can you?

The main problem people always stated to me with regards to the coaches and why they didn't travel on them was that they left too early & came back too late.

People also do like to travel on the trains as they have season tickets for London.

The thing is,not to influence those who travel by car or train,as that's obviously their preferred method but to influence those that simply don't go to away games and get them to start going on coaches.But I honestly think it will be hard,as because if the logistics we simply spend far too much time at the oppositions ground.

by all means i don't want to take people away from travelling by train or car. If they want to use that method of transport then that's fine, no problems at all with that.

I just want to put out that we have coach travel on offer, make people take note of the prices more, make a wider range of prices to suit all age groups, instead of the adult / child price at the moment.

Agree it be hard to do, but we won't know if we don't try different things in attracting new people to away travel.

In regards to the time we leave away destinations, that's not my call. That's with our Officials. But have noted your comment :)

I think you are going to have your work cut out,I thought of things to get more people on the coaches but the harsh reality is that football is a business and business is about supply and demand,the fact we seem to be averaging 250-300 home fans,suggests that the amount of fans we take to away games is pretty much at the level we should expect,although it does seem to have dropped a little bit this season.

Maybe when I was taking names at the gate,while doing the 50/50,people had a point to which they knew they could book in person but it wasn't ideal and often resulted in me losing sales of the 50/50 because people couldn't be bothered to wait a couple of minutes while I took details down,especially around 2.30-2.45pm which was the busy time,perhaps this needs looking at,a focal point for people to go.

As for pricing,the coach prices are reasonable,not over priced etc,although I think maybe a re think on behalf of both parties could be done,maybe go back to charging per journey ie Lowestoft away would be more than say Thamesmead away,while it works out well for the regular away traveller, paying £10 to go 10 miles the other side of the river isn't really a bargain,when 4 blokes can jump in a car for a quid or two each.

Charging under 5s nothing or youth prices are things to look at,but it does become much harder work for those taking payments.

Another problem you would get is if you suddenly got 20 people on a coach,10 adults & 10 under 5s,then you only have 10 paying customers.

I do think pensioners should be charged a reduced rate though.Maybe this could help,but many pensioners simply didn't like getting on coaches with lots of youngsters.

I also think coach travel suffered when we started combining the players coaches with the fans coaches,don't get me wrong,I can see why it happens but football in this country did and does have a drink culture, many fans used to love a good day out on the lash,few drinks on the coach,bit of a sing song etc.

It was always a bit rowdy at the back of the coach but people would almost go on the trips because they knew it would be a good laugh,now the players go to the back of the coach,have a laugh ,get rowdy and everyone else sits at the front of the coach and any loud behaviour from the fans is noticed straight away and frowned upon if slightly excessive,I really can't remember the last decent coach trip we had,in fact,I can't remember the last away trip that we took large numbers and everyone jumped on the coach and we had a good beano,probably 2/3 years back now .

That's the thing,if you stiffle people's enjoyment in any way,the consequences down the line can leave you with situations like this.

Here's a thought,probably too late,but I suppose we could just get it done in time for tomorrow.

Really push the Harrow away game.

Try to get a Coach,just for the Fans

And do the same with Canvey Away.

Really push it ,as important games so we get home advantage in the play offs.

An sure someone from the club will read this before the game,and if they don't agree can tell us.

Canvey I would imagine that the players will make their own way there so it could push us into a situation anyway.

Harrow,maybe get the club to provisionally book a 29 Seater for the players & Staff and a big coach for us.

Try to re kindle some of the away atmosphere which has disappeared from the coach trips over the last couple of years,if it works then it's good for thought for the summer and next season,maybe see if anyone can sponsor the coach or part sponsor it.

If we can get a coach for a reduced rate we can then offer cheap travel to these "must win" games,if we get an away tie in the play offs we should be able to fill a couple if coaches at least,maybe it can be rekindled if the club really want it to.

As for Harrow,I may have some of that,but have noticed it's FA Cup Semi final day at Wembley that day (5pm kick off Arsenal v Wigan),so I would only jump on the coach if it was going to stay and watch game after looool

I read this but didn't hear anything yesterday, so guess not, though seems a good idea to have a "fans only" one-off coach at some point. If it's not going ahead then my guess is a lack of numbers, the original problem. Harrow is not what you might call a "great day out" and even though it's at the "interesting" part of the season now, some may still prefer to watch just the home games and perhaps Canvey. If it is then I say well done as filling a fans coach to Harrow is a real achievement.

I remember going to Harrow once, must have been about 6 years ago, and they sold burger and chips behind the bar for just £1.50, which tempted me back again the following season. It's these "gifts" that help to bring the fans in, so ideas like these can help in the short-term. Unfortunately Harrow haven't done anything like that since. Of course I'm planning on going to Harrow this season because it's so interesting at the moment with how we are doing.

I am planning on going at the moment as I don't have any work.And I've not been to an away game for ages but it hardly seems like anyone is getting excited about it lol,may jump on the train as it sounds like the rainbow boys are going to have a laugh!!

They staying for the Arse? If so I might jump on that!

Hold your horses!

As I've stated, this is something that i want to start from next season.

I need to get things confirmed with the club and i cant do this until the following;

1. We know what league we are in. Wether we go up or stay in the Ryman

2. What Milestone's deal is with the club next season.

3. The above affecting how much we charge for fees to travel on the coach.

4. Once all of that is done, then i can sit down with, hopefully, supporters association and the club to at least get a variety of fees set at and confirmed for the new season.

Ken spoke to me yesterday and said was interested in some of the ideas i had thought of.

Once i get more news then i will let you all know.

in the meantime keep up with the 50/50 and the coach bus stop as the money from these helps towards your coach travel!

Sounds good :)

I do think that being in the conf south last season had an impact on coach travel and how many went on the coaches, for 2 main reasons, one being the distance and with what Rob said about the coach leaving early and arriving back late, that can't be avoided if you are going to say Bath. The other reason is probably our form, that it was unlikely we came back with any points. It looked an extremely competitive league, with the majorityof sides being powerful and trickly to break down, and wanting to win their home games as a priority. It seems like the southern prem is harder than the ryman prem - an assumption I make based on what i've seen, but might be wrong.

I've been thinking more about this and I believe it is important to focus on 1 specific area to begin with.

What is more important - more people to travel on the players/fans coach for away games, or more people to make the journey to away games by whatever means? We have to think more short-term as if it works then long-term will take care of itself.

I'm glad someone has taken an interest in this, and they are all good ideas.

What I think we need to look at is getting the support up generally, that will generate more income and may allow the players and fans to have separate coaches.

It has been one of the disadvantages that numbers are down and we have had to share with the players to keep costs down - the disadvantage being the early leave/late departure that EU mentioned.

No easy way of doing this though, otherwise all the clubs would be doing it.

Archived