Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

next season

inbetweener

Johnno, I'm aware that some areas can suffer worse conditions than others from time to time. However, that's why a team would have to have this happen on at least three occasions before there would be any penalty placed on them.

You refer to certain sides not making an effort to play the game, and that is one of the reasons why this sort of thing is worth further consideration. Certain sides regularly play, while others regularly don't. That isn't down to freak weather conditions in certain areas. If some pitches are poor, then the clubs should be encouraged to improve them, and the standard of the pitch itself absolutely should be a relevant factor in a ground grading. It's far more important than having a stand of a certain size at our level for example.

LIke you I was also at Moatside the day that our game was called off, and it was a stupid decision. We have the same ref this Saturday so it had better stay dry between now and then.

Nice guy. The playoffs work well in the Championship because there is a prize at the end, which is exactly why it wouldn't work in the CCL. You may enjoy the game, but clearly have never played or organised a club at this level. Maybe you should, as you clearly have a lot of energy, but it is a bit misguided right now.

Johnno, I'm aware that some areas can suffer worse conditions than others from time to time. However, that's why a team would have to have this happen on at least three occasions before there would be any penalty placed on them.

You refer to certain sides not making an effort to play the game, and that is one of the reasons why this sort of thing is worth further consideration. Certain sides regularly play, while others regularly don't. That isn't down to freak weather conditions in certain areas. If some pitches are poor, then the clubs should be encouraged to improve them, and the standard of the pitch itself absolutely should be a relevant factor in a ground grading. It's far more important than having a stand of a certain size at our level for example.

LIke you I was also at Moatside the day that our game was called off, and it was a stupid decision. We have the same ref this Saturday so it had better stay dry between now and then.

Nice guy. The playoffs work well in the Championship because there is a prize at the end, which is exactly why it wouldn't work in the CCL. You may enjoy the game, but clearly have never played or organised a club at this level. Maybe you should, as you clearly have a lot of energy, but it is a bit misguided right now.

DEAREST E&E I HAVE PLAYED ALOT HIGHER THAN CCL IN MY DAY SORRY TO SAY.

AS I HAVE SAID SO MANY TIMES, THERE SHOULD BE SOME SILVERWARE (IE) ''CCL PLAY-OFF CUP'' OR SOMETHING WITH A MORE STYLISH NAME ACCOMPANIED WITH MEDALS..... SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR

ANYWAY I ENGROSSED WITH THE AMOUNT OF OTHER IDEAS TO MAKE THE CCL PREMIER MORE INTERESTING AND MORE ENTERTAINING FOR ITS LAST 2-3 MONTHS.....KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK !

Edited by Smudge

AS I HAVE SAID SO MANY TIMES, THERE SHOULD BE SOME SILVERWARE (IE) ''CCL PLAY-OFF CUP'' OR SOMETHING WITH A MORE STYLISH NAME ACCOMPANIED WITH MEDALS..... SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR

ANYWAY I ENGROSSED WITH THE AMOUNT OF OTHER IDEAS TO MAKE THE CCL PREMIER MORE INTERESTING AND MORE ENTERTAINING FOR ITS LAST 2-3 MONTHS.....KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK !

But this "silverware" would be utterly pointless. Far from creating excitement, it just crams more games into a period of the season where clubs are looking to get things finished off and their pitches sorted.

I understand your desire to give teams "something to play for" but in an era when many clubs field squad sides in County Cups, I can't see that there would be any desire from administrators, groundsmen, players or managers to be "rewarded" for finishing second or third by being made to play extra games - with or without a pot to show for it! Besides, back in the day when the CCL had only one division it did have two knockout cups - an idea that has long since died out.

You could maybe have an optional Cup Competition, like the Suburban League do for Reserve sides. This would only run in seasons where the weather was good and could be restricted to prevent sides who were behind on their fixtures from entering. The issue with that is the Suburban League runs with smaller divisions and does not come under the same pressure as the CCL does to finish by a given date.

Fundamentally, there are enough cups out there to keep clubs interested already, such as the Southern Combination Cup, Aldershot Senior Cup, East Surrey Charity Cup, etc...

So, all I'd say is PLEASE STOP SHOUTING. I think most people who have read through this thread understand the concept, but don't believe it to be practical or particularly desirable. As has been said, the real issue is the lack of actual promotion places at Step 5, but that's down to the FA.

But this "silverware" would be utterly pointless. Far from creating excitement, it just crams more games into a period of the season where clubs are looking to get things finished off and their pitches sorted.

I understand your desire to give teams "something to play for" but in an era when many clubs field squad sides in County Cups, I can't see that there would be any desire from administrators, groundsmen, players or managers to be "rewarded" for finishing second or third by being made to play extra games - with or without a pot to show for it! Besides, back in the day when the CCL had only one division it did have two knockout cups - an idea that has long since died out.

You could maybe have an optional Cup Competition, like the Suburban League do for Reserve sides. This would only run in seasons where the weather was good and could be restricted to prevent sides who were behind on their fixtures from entering. The issue with that is the Suburban League runs with smaller divisions and does not come under the same pressure as the CCL does to finish by a given date.

Fundamentally, there are enough cups out there to keep clubs interested already, such as the Southern Combination Cup, Aldershot Senior Cup, East Surrey Charity Cup, etc...

So, all I'd say is PLEASE STOP SHOUTING. I think most people who have read through this thread understand the concept, but don't believe it to be practical or particularly desirable. As has been said, the real issue is the lack of actual promotion places at Step 5, but that's down to the FA.

Agree ... We played in what is called the Suburban Champions cup this year....It is the cup and 3 league winners from the previous year go into a 2 leg semi then 2 leg final. Great idea.... however our 2nd game v Wimbledon was postponed for 2 months due to the weather. Wimbledon won the cup and congratulations to them. For me the league should promote the top 2 if facilities permit if not then 3rd place go up if facilities are up to it. If they are not look to another step 5 league. This also means that regardless of facilities if you finish at the bottom, whether is 2 or 3 that come down you get relegated....

Only my view so lets not all start shouting at me, as Forums are about views.

In the last few years of Ryman 2, due to only playing about 30 League games, they had the Associate Members Trophy (I think it was called that) which was a area group stage thing (so Dorking would be in a group with Egham, Camberley etc) to fill in the blank bits of the calendar. Trouble is it meant the same clubs playing each other over and over. Think it was home and away, can't really remember but not sure it was thought much of as a competition.

BEANO i think your find that N G has put forward a point. to make the end of season games, have some meaning. i know we have had this discusion in other seasons. points before included, later entry into vase or cup tornaments. i understand that the fa have any final say. but NG is a spectator so has his slant on it. like him i want to watch a game where 2 teams are trying. over the past few seasons, i have put my money,into other leagues. as ccl was over very early.coffee%20%282%29.gif

Guernsey only got 7 Teams in their Top Division,play each other 7 times minimum,just imagine having to go to the Arena 3 Times a year,I HEAR YOU SAYING.Could be 4 if you drew them in the Cup.

EVEN WORSE SMUDGE, IF YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE SPECTRUM AS WELL, DIRE ........ LOL !!!

BEANO i think your find that N G has put forward a point. to make the end of season games, have some meaning. i know we have had this discusion in other seasons. points before included, later entry into vase or cup tornaments. i understand that the fa have any final say. but NG is a spectator so has his slant on it. like him i want to watch a game where 2 teams are trying. over the past few seasons, i have put my money,into other leagues. as ccl was over very early.coffee%20%282%29.gif

EXACTLY....HURRAY THE FAN ! AT LAST SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTAND MY CONCEPT FROM A ''SPECTATOR'' POINT OF VIEW, YOU KNOW THOSE GUYS WHO PAY TO WATCH FOOTBALL AND HELP CLUBS BE IT MINUSCULE, BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING.

THANKS TF FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING, AT LEAST YOU & ME LIKE TO WATCH COMPETATIVE FOOTBALL WHICH IS LACKING COME TOWARDS THE END OF THE SEASON WHEN BOTH MID-TABLE TEAMS HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY FOR. THESE GAMES BECOME A NON-EVENT AND ALTHO' I WANT TO SUPPORT THEIR CLUB, I WILL NOT WASTE MY MONEY AND PUT THAT TO GOOD USE TO WATCH A RELEGATION BATTLE LIKE I DID LAST SEASON.

APPRECIATE THIS SEASON HAS A BITE TO IT WITH POSSIBLY 4-5 TEAMS STILL IN WITH A SHOUT TO BE CHAMPIONS, BUT I'M ALSO THINKING OF THE CLUBS FROM SAY 6TH DOWNWARDS, WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO WATCH THEM ? IN THEORY THEIR SEASON REALLY HAS COME TO AN END ALREADY BAR BEING IN ANY CUPS, BUT I HAVE A CHOICE THIS SEASON THANK GOODNESS SO I WON'T HAVE THE NEED TO GO BACK TO WATCHING RYMANS FOR THIS SEASON ANYWAY 'COS I WASN'T GOING TO WATCH ANOTHER RELEGATION BATTLE.

I'M NOT TOO SURE WHETHER THE CCL COULD INTRODUCE A ''PLAY-OFF'' CUP WITHOUT THE FA'S CONFIRMATION ALTHO' IT WILL BE CONTROLLED AND ARRANGED BY THE CCL WITHIN THEIR OWN SYSTEM ? (IE) CCL LEAGUE CUP ?

WHITELAW, CAN YOU ASSIST HERE. WHAT ARE YOUR/CCL THOUGHTS TO SPICE UP THE CCL PREMIER LEAGUE COME FEBRUARY ONWARDS. IS IT SOMETHING THAT COULD BE LOOKED AT FOR NEXT SEASON, MAYBE THE CLUBS COULD DISCUSS THIS AT THEIR AGM ? TO ME IT KEEPS ALL CLUBS INTERESTED UPTO THE END OF THE SEASON, SURELY CLUBS WOUL;D WANT THAT AS OPPOSED TO THEIR SEASON FINISHING COME FEBRUARY EVEN IN JANUARY COME TO THAT.

EXACTLY....HURRAY THE FAN ! AT LAST SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTAND MY CONCEPT FROM A ''SPECTATOR'' POINT OF VIEW, YOU KNOW THOSE GUYS WHO PAY TO WATCH FOOTBALL AND HELP CLUBS BE IT MINUSCULE, BUT BETTER THAN NOTHING.

THANKS TF FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING, AT LEAST YOU & ME LIKE TO WATCH COMPETATIVE FOOTBALL WHICH IS LACKING COME TOWARDS THE END OF THE SEASON WHEN BOTH MID-TABLE TEAMS HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY FOR. THESE GAMES BECOME A NON-EVENT AND ALTHO' I WANT TO SUPPORT THEIR CLUB, I WILL NOT WASTE MY MONEY AND PUT THAT TO GOOD USE TO WATCH A RELEGATION BATTLE LIKE I DID LAST SEASON.

APPRECIATE THIS SEASON HAS A BITE TO IT WITH POSSIBLY 4-5 TEAMS STILL IN WITH A SHOUT TO BE CHAMPIONS, BUT I'M ALSO THINKING OF THE CLUBS FROM SAY 6TH DOWNWARDS, WHAT HAPPENS IF I WANT TO WATCH THEM ? IN THEORY THEIR SEASON REALLY HAS COME TO AN END ALREADY BAR BEING IN ANY CUPS, BUT I HAVE A CHOICE THIS SEASON THANK GOODNESS SO I WON'T HAVE THE NEED TO GO BACK TO WATCHING RYMANS FOR THIS SEASON ANYWAY 'COS I WASN'T GOING TO WATCH ANOTHER RELEGATION BATTLE.

I'M NOT TOO SURE WHETHER THE CCL COULD INTRODUCE A ''PLAY-OFF'' CUP WITHOUT THE FA'S CONFIRMATION ALTHO' IT WILL BE CONTROLLED AND ARRANGED BY THE CCL WITHIN THEIR OWN SYSTEM ? (IE) CCL LEAGUE CUP ?

WHITELAW, CAN YOU ASSIST HERE. WHAT ARE YOUR/CCL THOUGHTS TO SPICE UP THE CCL PREMIER LEAGUE COME FEBRUARY ONWARDS. IS IT SOMETHING THAT COULD BE LOOKED AT FOR NEXT SEASON, MAYBE THE CLUBS COULD DISCUSS THIS AT THEIR AGM ? TO ME IT KEEPS ALL CLUBS INTERESTED UPTO THE END OF THE SEASON, SURELY CLUBS WOUL;D WANT THAT AS OPPOSED TO THEIR SEASON FINISHING COME FEBRUARY EVEN IN JANUARY COME TO THAT.

No, I understood exactly what NG was saying about giving an "edge" to the last three months of the season for those clubs in the top half of the Premier Division. My point was that tacking an extra cup competition onto the end of the season is probably not the way to do it.

The only way to do it is to relieve the bottleneck at Step 5 by increasing promotion and relegation between Steps 4 and 5, but that's down to the FA. More movement between the steps would be good for the game as a whole, whereas introducing an extra cup will delay pitch renovations, cost clubs money and add zero competetive edge. Clubs will not bust a gut to hit the top 5 unless the rewards for doing so are significant - unless this proposed tournament had massive prize money attached to it, it will hold little attraction to clubs or supporters.

No, I understood exactly what NG was saying about giving an "edge" to the last three months of the season for those clubs in the top half of the Premier Division. My point was that tacking an extra cup competition onto the end of the season is probably not the way to do it.

The only way to do it is to relieve the bottleneck at Step 5 by increasing promotion and relegation between Steps 4 and 5, but that's down to the FA. More movement between the steps would be good for the game as a whole, whereas introducing an extra cup will delay pitch renovations, cost clubs money and add zero competetive edge. Clubs will not bust a gut to hit the top 5 unless the rewards for doing so are significant - unless this proposed tournament had massive prize money attached to it, it will hold little attraction to clubs or supporters.

Except NiceGuy and The Fan of course wink.gif

Except NiceGuy and The Fan of course wink.gif

sorry GF if i dare to have an opinion. dont want to get into the bottleneck debate, as i think step 5 is very low, on the fa to do list. but from what you say, you are happy with the end of season friendlies, that are served up.coffee%20%282%29.gif

Tongue in cheek comment TF although I'm with the majority on this one - would love to see extra promotion / relegation between Steps 4 & 5 to give more meaning to the latter part of the season but can't see it happening without a major review of the pyramid. Meantime I watched Badshot Lea implode last season having to play 25 games in 2 months - their reward for having reasonably successful Cup & Vase runs. Couldn't envisage the players relishing the prospect of an extra cup at that stage and the majority of supporters (in the main parents / relatives of players) just wanted the season over & done with.

Tongue in cheek comment TF although I'm with the majority on this one - would love to see extra promotion / relegation between Steps 4 & 5 to give more meaning to the latter part of the season but can't see it happening without a major review of the pyramid. Meantime I watched Badshot Lea implode last season having to play 25 games in 2 months - their reward for having reasonably successful Cup & Vase runs. Couldn't envisage the players relishing the prospect of an extra cup at that stage and the majority of supporters (in the main parents / relatives of players) just wanted the season over & done with.

But if they had something to play for, would they have wanted the season to end.coffee%20%282%29.gif

Nice Guy you didn't read my thread. I said played or organised AT THIS LEVEL. There is a world of difference between this level and your "a lot higher".

If you did play higher, then I have no idea why you continue to hang around this forum telling everyone else why they should do something. Can't you pester a higher League forum instead?

Also, please notice you have asked Whitelaw for a comment three times. He isn't listening to you as he is too busy to waste his time with a pointless suggestion, and so am I now, as I have to spend eight hours constructing a programme for Tuesday's game at my club. As I said earlier, maybe you should get involved with one. Not mine though please!

Nice Guy you didn't read my thread. I said played or organised AT THIS LEVEL. There is a world of difference between this level and your "a lot higher".

If you did play higher, then I have no idea why you continue to hang around this forum telling everyone else why they should do something. Can't you pester a higher League forum instead?

Also, please notice you have asked Whitelaw for a comment three times. He isn't listening to you as he is too busy to waste his time with a pointless suggestion, and so am I now, as I have to spend eight hours constructing a programme for Tuesday's game at my club. As I said earlier, maybe you should get involved with one. Not mine though please!

I'M ON THIS FORUM, WHICH REALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU ANYWAY, 'COS I WANT TO PUT IDEAS FORWARD TO MAKE THE CCL PREM MORE INTERESTING COME THE LAST 3 MONTHS OF THE SEASON. DON'T SEE TOO MANY OTHERS THINKING UP IDEAS !

SO E&E AT LEAST I AM TRYING TO THINK UP IDEAS TO SPICE UP THE CCL PREM FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS 'COS AS OTHER POSTS HAVE ADMITTED, ALOT OF THE CLUBS AT PRESENT AND THAT MEANS EPSOM & EWELL (OOOPS SORRY !) HAVE NOTHING TO PLAY FOR THIS SEASON, SO FROM EVEN JANUARY YOUR SEASON IS FINISHED AS A MID-TABLE CLUB.

E & E YOUR CLUB IS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF MY IDEA 'COS THEY HAVE NOTHING TO TURN UP AND PLAY FOR HENCE YOUR LAST 2 LEAGUE RESULTS, SO I FEEL A BIT FOR YOUR MANAGEMENT HAVING TO MOTIVATE THE PLAYERS WHO PROBABLY HAVE LOST INTEREST AND CANNOT WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO FINISH, BUT IF THERE WAS A PLAY-OFF CUP ON OFFER THEN THEY WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR, IT KEEPS THE LEAGUE, CLUBS LIKE EPSOM & EWELL, MANAGEMENT & PLAYERS ALIVE AND NOT JUST TURN UP (IF THEY CAN BE BOTHERED) AND SEE OFF ANOTHER GAME WHICH REALLY HAS NO MEANING, AND NOT REALLY CARE IF THEY WIN, LOSE OR DRAW. NOW WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED GOING TO WATCH A GAME LIKE THAT ?

NOW DO YOU GET MY POINT !

Edited by NICE GUY